Re: [tor-talk] Problem with where hidden_services able to be placed/permissions.

Yes, running Tor 0.2.6.10.'Do you see there files like
cached-microdesc-consensus, lock, state, etc.?' Files do exist in
/var/lib/tor. The pertinent torrc:

'HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/hidden_service/
HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:80'

The '/var/lib/tor' by default is limited to root. I did some tests
deleting 'hidden_service' to regenerate new .onion addresses. All fine.

The normal 'user' of system can't access '/var/lib/tor'. I changed
permissions of folder. Tor wouldn't generate new hidden_services files
or connect. I created a new folder 'hidden_service' in user's
'/home/user/Documents' and changed torrc to
'/home/user/Documents/hidden_service'. Tor wouldn't generate new
hidden_services files or connect.

Changed everything back, back to normal... What I'm trying to do is have
a fresh OS, that when a new user starts for first time, a unique .onion
address is generated for them and it is easily displayed on a start
page, without them having to fish around in files or having to use
editor, terminal, etc.

(On another note, the tor lists has been the quickest response/most
helpful for a novice, that I've encountered. Thank you all.)

----------

Hi,

If you installed from deb.torproject.org I assume you are using Tor
0.2.6.10, correct? (run # tor --version to check this).

Please explain once again what you did, I don't exactly understand.
Have you restored a hidden service for which you had backups of
private_key and hostname files? Or did you leave Tor to create a new
hidden service? What do you mean by 'set-up a directory in user's
Documents folder'?

If you have installed via apt, your datadirectory should be
/var/lib/tor, unless you didn't change it by modifying torrc. Do you
see there files like cached-microdesc-consensus, lock, state, etc.?
Also, the username who should run Tor on your system is debian-tor.

Please provide more details and torrc entries.

tor-talk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: