Re: [tor-talk] New relays and bridges.

kl:
> On 8/21/2016 3:59:42 PM, laurelai bailey (laurelaistorm@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>> But when tor.exe got integrated into the Tor browser, windows users (at
>> least me) have not been able to set up relays.
>
> From what I understand it is better if Tor relays and Bridges have
> longer term availability.
>
> It could be that only running a Relay for the 2 hours you are browsing
> the web and then cutting off all the connections that have been made
> through your Relay when you powerdown your desktop Windows PC and go to
> bed might not be desirable.

Your assumption is incorrect.  I invested in a dedicated box, which I
ran 24/7.  Unfortunately that CPU (embedded Atom 2550) turned out not to
be able to run *nix.

> I think it is rare for a desktop Windows machine to stay running 24/7.
> So don't feel too bad about it.

I don't feel bad.  Just annoyed that that Tor developers abandoned
windows support without letting anyone know that windows users would
henceforth be limited to clients, not relays.  I actually don't need it
for client, but was enthusiastic to contribute to the network by running
a bridge at least.

> [snip]
> A download for just the Tor Browser without all the other crap mixed in
> would be nice but it's not a big deal. Having sane defaults for
> unsophisticated users is more important.

I agree with that.  But the Tor project should keep us informed on
developments or lack thereof, so we don't waste our time trying to setup
bridges in windows when it's no longer possible. - eliaz