Re: [tor-talk] Comments?

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 04:38:49PM -0700, Jacki M wrote:
> Comments on Paul Syverson Proposed attack?
> Paul Syverson - Oft Target: Tor adversary models that don't miss the mark
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGXncihWzfw

Ermm, brilliant. ;>)

More seriously. The point of this work is not to propose attacks per se
but to observe that a Tor adversary intending to target individuals or
specific groups might be much more effective against those targets
than would the usual "hoovering" adversaries described in the literature,
even if it has roughly the same resources as the usually considered
adversaries. (Hoovering adversaries simply try to gather as much as
they can indiscriminantly.) And we observed that targeting adversaries
are in various ways more realistic. We suggested that Tor design changes
and security analyses should take targeting into account going
forward. That was our main point. We also proposed some
countermeasures for the specific example attacks we introduced to
illustrate that point, some of which I think are original (onionsite
templates) while others are part of territory already explored for
other reasons (guard layering and different guard-set sizes and
duration).

aloha,
Paul