Re: [tor-talk] Motivations for certificate issues for onion services

Dave Warren writes:

> I don't completely understand this, since outside the Tor world it's
> possible to acquire DV certificates using verification performed on
> unencrypted (HTTP) channels.
>
> Wouldn't the same be possible for a .onion, simply requiring that the
> verification service act as a Tor client? This would be at least as good,
> given that Tor adds a bit of encryption.

I think Roger's reply to my message addresses reasons why I think this
is a good argument, and I'm in agreement with you.  However, with
next-generation onion services, it should no longer be necessary to have
any form of this argument.

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen@xxxxxxx>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/