Re: Tor status

check your torrc for lines like the following:

### Send all messages of level 'notice' or higher to /var/log/tor/log
Log notice file /var/log/tor/log
### Send all messages of level 'warn' or higher to /var/log/tor/warnings
Log warn file /var/log/tor/warnings.log
### Send all debug and info messages to /var/log/tor/debug
#Log debug-warn file /var/log/tor/debug.log
### Send all debug messages ONLY to /var/log/tor/debug
#Log debug-debug file /var/log/tor/debug.log
### To use the system log instead of Tor's logfile

The logfiles will give you information about the status of your tor installation. if you want to keep an eye on things as you use tor you could execute:

tail -f /var/path/to/tor/logfile

in a window and the tor logs will scroll by as they are presented.

If this is confusing send the relevant logfile entries from your torrc and I can tell you where to look for the status messages...

BTW
Is something not working or are you just curious to see what is going on under the hood?