Re: No Data error connecting with hidden services

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:21:16 -0500, you wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I hope this is the right place to ask my question.
> >
> > I have added socks proxy support to my remailer client QuickSilver. I
> > find I can connect and use Tor for various protocols (SMTP, HTTP,
> > FTP, NNTP, POP3) without problems. However, when I try to connect
> > with a hidden service, for example panta remailer's service
> > rjgcfnw4sd2jaqfu.onion, I get an immediate 'No Data' error. I expect
> > this is a problem with my email client, but I have no idea what to
> > look into to correct it. If anyone could shed some light on this I
> > would be very appreciative.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Richard
> > --
> > Richard Christman
> > http://quicksilvermail.net
> >

> The main cause of problems with connecting to hidden services is
> when the application looks up the hostname and provide the ip to the
> socks server instead. An .onion address isn't real and can't be
> resolved so this is where errors happen.
>
> I've come across many applications that say they support Socks 4A
> but in fact still end up looking up the hostname and passing an ip
> instead.
>
> I understand that Quicksilver uses a third party "internet controls"
> which provides the socks support. Grab a free packet sniffer like
> Ethereal and double check to make sure that this library isn't doing
> that.
>
> I also saw on your list an error message posted:
> Dec 06 15:08:12.484 [warn] No Tor server exists that allows exit to
> 208.180.124.28:2525. Rejecting.
>
> Tor actually provides the hostname instead of the ip when giving
> these errors, if it's been given a hostname. Perhaps the user
> specifically used the ip instead of "mail.dingoremailer.com", but it
> seems that your internet toolkit might possibly be looking up
> hostnames itself instead of passing them to the socks server
>
> If I'm completely wrong and barking up the wrong tree, the next
> thing to do is get a far more detailed report from Tor about what's
> happening. Adding the line:
>
> Log debug file debug.txt
>
> to your torrc will get tor to spew out an incredibly detailed log to
> debug.txt which will explain any reasons for a socks connection not
> completing. Posting it here might enable people to see what the
> problem is, as there's not too much to go on right now.
>
> Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Thanks so much. You have provided quite a bit of info for me to go
on. The actual workings of the 4a level were pretty vague to me. I
understand a bit more now. The internet controls I am using are from
a fellow in Belgium and they are generally excellent (
http://www.overbyte.be ). It could well be that they are doing the
host lookup. Fortunately, he provides full source so if modification
is necessary, it can be done.

Let me take a few days and study what you have told me. I will use
the sniffer you suggested, the Tor debug log and do some stepping
through the socket code of the ICS internet controls. I really feel
you have given me a lot to work with here!

Thank you again. I will return!

Richard
--
Richard Christman