Re: Hello, about Best Hardware...

On Dec 16, 2007 6:01 PM, F. Fox <kitsune.or@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think running *any* system in this modern age without some kind of
> firewall protection - even if it's just software on the end box itself -
>  is an invitation to disaster; doing it with a server is suicide. =:oD

This is WindowsPC thinking.

If on your server you perform a netstat -L and see that only TOR and
SSH are listening, and your 'firewall' would have let those things
through anyways, then a 'firewall' is providing no additional
security,  only some increased robustness against future
misconfiguration.

Can firewalling be useful even in this situation, yes, but to call it
"suicide" is non-sense.