Perfect MITM attack with valid SSL Certs

http://blog.startcom.org/?p=145

Slashdot and others are reporting on this story about how it was possible for a person to receive a completely valid certificate for a random domain of his choosing without any questions or verification.  In this case he generated a certificate for mozilla.com from a reseller of the Comodo certificate authority.  I'm hoping this is just a single instance but it makes you remember that the browser pre-trusted certificate authorities really needs to be cleaned up.

If it's not obvious enough, this is not good for Tor users due to the fact that we try to rely on SSL certificates to make sure that traffic isn't sniffed while using Tor.

-Roc Tor Admin