Re: TOR is for anonymization; so how to add encryption as well?

    On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 20:47:49 +0530 arshad <arshad3m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Sun, 2009-12-27 at 09:58 -0500, basile wrote:
>
>> arshad wrote:
>> > i want the traffic be encrypted as well?
>> > any workarounds?
>> >
>> > thanks.

>> It is encrypted except at the exit unless you use https or imaps or
>> whatever protocol + s.
>>
>> Let me illustrate.  Suppose you go to http://www.google.com via
>> privoxy+tor, then you establish a tunnel like this:
>>
>>              --------Tor's encryption--------------
>> client         ------ clear http ------------->        Tor Relay ...
>>              --------Tor's encryption--------------
>>
>> This continues until you get to the exit
>>
>> --------Tor's encryption--------------
>>     ------ clear http ------------->         Tor Exit ------ clear http
>> ----->
>> --------Tor's encryption--------------
>>
>> So sniffing is impossible except at the exit.   The admin at the tor
>> exit should never look at the traffic leaving his/her node.
>>
>> If you repeat the above, but go to https://www.google.com (note the
>> http+s), then the above changes in that the clear http is replaced by
>> encrypted https.  Then even the tor exit node admin can't see your traffic.
>>
>> Hope this helps and that my ascii art didn't get wrapped beyond readability.
>>

>thank you very much for your reply.
>the the ascii art really helped.
>now i have two doubts in this.
>1) is no one able to decrypt the tor's encryption?
>2) how can i trust the person who runs the tor's exit node?
>
>optional -3) [forgive me if it is too silly]
>why people run TOR nodes? is that only to support the community or other
>benifits as well?

     Please, please, please read the material at the torproject.org web site.
Then read the documentation.  The developers have put a lot of time and effort
into writing good documentation for us to read and understand.  An awful lot
of the questions you have been flooding our in boxes with, including the
questions in your message above, could have been avoided by your taking *your*
responsibility to read the documentation that has been provided to you.  Note
further that the bulk of the documentation was installed onto your own
computer as part of the tor installation.  Please read it.
     Once you have done your homework, people on this list will be much
happier to address any questions you still have after you do your part.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG