Re: TOR and ISP

On 12/29/2009 9:01 AM, Curious Kid wrote:
> "Current law, as contained in Title 18 U.S.C. Section 2703(f), outlines
> the process by which law enforcement can contact ISPs to request the
> preservation of identified records or communications related to a
> particular person. The information cannot be deleted for 90 days,
> during which time law enforcement obtains the proper legal process.7"
>
> "7. United States Internet Service Provider Association, "The US Data Preservation System: Title 18 U.S.C. Section 2703(f)," http://www.usispa.org/pdf/DataPreservationSystem.pdf "

That law requires providers to PRESERVE existing data after they receive
a SPECIFIC request for that data.  If they do not already have that
data, it does not mandate that they begin collecting it, nor does it
require any on-going data collection - merely preservation.  Please
don't spread FUD.  There are plenty of truly scary things under
consideration, we don't need fear-mongering over things that already
exist but aren't really that scary - because then the argument can be
made that the new stuff isn't all that scarier than the old stuff, and
boom, we've got truly scary laws in place.

Regards,
Tim