Re: Fwd: Re: DMCA Infringement Notification: Copies of 14 complaints

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 11:20:46AM -0700, scar wrote:
> misconceptions, the part referring to section 7 of the service agreement
> seems relevant.  suggestions?
>

> Dmca violations are treated seriously by Qwest and if they continue you
> will lose your DSL service.
> You mentioned you were operating a "Tor exit router" which normally is
> used for the purpose of
> hiding ip addresses. If you are allowing people on the internet to hide
> their ip addresses by routing
> through your DSL  "Tor exit router", then you are violating your DSL
> service agreement with Qwest.
> You can find the Qwest DSL service agreement at
> http://www.qwest.com/legal/highspeedinternetsubscriberagreement.
> Under "7. Service Conditions" it state that your residential DSL service
> is only for the use of your  pcs
> within your home. You cannot allow others, outside your house,  to use
> it for the purpose of hiding their ip addresses.
> You also are responsible for any harmful or illegal traffic that comes
> from your DSL modem. The fact that
> your "Tor service" is a configured to block the most common ports
> associated with abuse does not release
> you from this responsibility. If you are charging money for the use of
> the "Tor service" then you are violating the terms of both your
> residential phone service and your residential DSL service with Qwest
> as you are not allowed to use either for running a business.

Unfortunately this clearly brands Qwest as a Bad ISP
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/GoodBadISPs
so the wiki can be updated accordingly if negotiation is impossible.
I had the same problem with my cable provider and switched to a friendly ISP.
To avoid changing providers you could make your relay a non-exit or bridge.