Re: Why NOT send UDP over tor?

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 03:41:22AM +0100, Mitar wrote:
> About P2P users: why does Tor not award users who are exit nodes with
> more bandwidth available for themselves? So that P2P users would be
> motivated to run exit nodes by themselves. And in the long run they
> would learn that it is enough just to run Tor and do not use it for
> P2P as they can always just say that P2P traffic which has been found
> out to be coming from their IP was coming from Tor network.

Assuming 1) you give better performance to relays, and 2) the list of
relays remains public (or at least substantially knowable), and 3) it's
possible to tell whether a given user is getting better performance for
her circuit, then you severely reduce the user's anonymity, especially
if her actions are linkable to each other over time.

Read
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/two-incentive-designs-tor

The latest paper in this research direction is Braids:
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~hopper/braids_ccs.pdf
which still has plenty more open questions to work on before we can
understand the anonymity implications of its design.

--Roger