Re: [tor-talk] New to List

I can suggest a few things although can't help much beyond of what I speak
of as I'm not knowledgeable about the particulars myself without
researching it.

> I am new to the mailing list but using Tor for awhile now. First, cheers
> to the developers - this service is great!
>
> After reading in a great many FAQs, wikimedia pages, and so on - I am
> still bit worried about local DNS being revealed.

Hook up to a hub (not a router) and use ettercap on a 2nd computer to see
what your Tor system is doing when you visit sites. You should only see
the system access Tor IP addresses.

Are you using the TBB? If you are using a http proxy make sure you have
entered https:// and http:// in the proxy section. If you enter just
http:// then you can't access https sites.

> Here is my set-up and what I have done: Running v.0.2.2.34, Linux/Ubuntu
> environ, Firefox of course with network.proxy.sock 'true' - all traffic
> goes through SOCKS5. Connecting to network no problem.
>
> Added "TestgSocks 1" to torrc file to see log output, followed from
> here:
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorFAQ#IkeepseeingthesewarningsaboutSOCKSandDNSandinformationleaks.ShouldIworry
>
> I am not seeing warnings, just not convinced no DNS leaking. Also even
> though added to torrc, not getting anything to test in the logs. Every
> time I access .onion sites browser times out.

If I were you I'd set it up so there is no access to the Internet except
for the user the Tor software is running as. There is something in
iptables to specify which user the rules apply to. Then connect to Tor
with firefox using an account without Internet access (except when going
through Tor).

Don't ask me more about iptables. I can't help there. I'd probably go ask
on the iptables mailing list.

> Any helpful next steps? How can I be sure?

ettercap