Re: [tor-talk] browser with best privacy without using the Tornetwork

>> For various reasons it sounds like there is a lot of demand for
>> separating
>> Tor from the TBB.
>
> You mean separating Tor Browser from The Tor Browser Bundle (TBB)?
>
> Reasons I see here:
> - using Tor as a transparent proxy
> - wanting a browser with best privacy settings but without using the Tor
> network

There are more reasons. Those might be two possible reasons. I can think
of others. Separating the components would make it easier to secure within
a distribution. Running Tor as a separate user from the browser for
instance.

This would ensure you can't accidentally click a button and end up
destroying your anonymity. Such accidents may leak data to disk, printer,
or a government/ISP/etc.

If this were done you could then package the components separately and
update only the components that need updating. If Tor needs to be updates
why should you re-download Firefox when it hasn't been changed?

Many people do not live in regimes where access to the Internet is readily
available, reliable, or fast. This isn't just China, Iran, and Cuba. First
rate nations have many of these same speed limitations. In some countries
the population is too spread out for high speed access or the people are
amongst impoverished populations and a fast connection isn't feasible.
There are also many island nations without physical cable (satellite
uplinks).