Re: [tor-talk] does tor browse bundle really work on UNIX, BSD, etc

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 19:50:50 -0600
John Thompson <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I haven't run TBB on BSD, but FreeBSD (and presumably other
> variants) have a very capable linux compatibility mode. Perhaps TBB
> runs in this compatibility mode?

That's not actually a reasonable presumption, as Linux ABI support was
added some time after the BSDs split (think about it: Linux was a
newborn at that point). However as it happens NetBSD, OpenBSD (& its
daughter MirOS) and Dragonfly BSD all do support Linux binaries.

Whether that means they can run TBB is of course a separate question.
My BSD of choice is NetBSD, and I don't think I've ever managed to run
TBB; certainly when I tested just now Vidalia and tor are both fine, but
Firefox isn't happy. I've not worked out why yet. It's not something
I've put much time into so I may just be missing something obvious.

Julian

--
3072D/F3A66B3A Julian Yon (2012 General Use) <pgp.2012@xxxxxx>