Re: [tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 14:54 +0000, Julian Yon wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 09:19:20 -0500
> Ted Smith <tedks@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 04:42 -0700, Jim wrote:
> > > (A lot
> > > of the NANOG discussion seems to imply that he himself must have
> > > been doing something illegal.)
> >
> > As far as I can tell, most of those accusations come from one person,
> > and have no base in reality.
>
> Yes, and personally I wish Eugen would stop forwarding his messages.
> Reading them makes me want to break things.

I think it's incredibly valuable to see how people outside the Tor
circle perceive Tor.

I knew of the nanog list before this, and had I been offered the
opportunity, I would have bet money that they would have been
overwhelmingly in support of Tor and William in this situation. I would
have lost.

It's easy to get trapped in a filter bubble, even if you never use
Google.

> > It's a common cognitive bias to assume that bad things happen to bad
> > people, and good things happen to good people. This is called the Just
> > World Fallacy, and it's so powerful it can make otherwise intelligent
> > technologists accuse their colleagues of being secret kiddie-porn
> > mafioso.
>
> What we've been witnessing here is more than simply Just World - he's
> gone from that onto a flight of fancy where he is some sort of guardian
> of all that is pure and true, and talking rubbish about how various
> legal jurisdictions operate. Despite it being tangentially related to
> Tor, I'd call that off-topic.

Well, now he's started arguing with other people, and his arguments have
become soldiers -- to admit any flaw in them would be an attack on his
comrades.

But I still think it's on topic, for the reason stated above.

--
Sent from Ubuntu