Re: [tor-talk] Shutting down the relay-search service by the end of the year

On Sun, Dec 01, 2013 at 10:44:48AM +0100, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> I'm thinking about shutting down a service that is currently running as
> part of the metrics website:
>
>   https://metrics.torproject.org/relay-search.html
[snip]
> The main feature that these two alternatives are missing is that they
> don't tell you about relays that have been offline for *more* than a week.

As usual, I think I'm the one using more of the metrics services than
others.

For the most recent case where I found it useful, see
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2013-December/003455.html

> The major argument against keeping the relay-search service is that it's
> one of the few remaining things that require us to keep a full database
> of relays on our already overloaded metrics machine.

How sad. I guess if it has to go, it should go. But I do use it. :)

> My current thinking is that the relay-search service is only used,
> because it's linked from various websites including Tor Weather and the
> Relay Configuration Instructions on Debian/Ubuntu.  Those links could be
> changed to Atlas or Globe easily.

Changing the links sounds like a fine plan to me.

--Roger