Re: [tor-talk] Harvard student used Tor to send bomb threats, gets caught by old-fashioned policework

On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 11:13 -0500, Adrian Crenshaw wrote:
> The guy apparently confessed, but they may not have really had
> anything on
> him besides using Tor. The cops may have said "Tell the truth and we
> will
> go easy on you", which was not in his best interest.

This is a third-hand anecdote, but a similar situation happened at my
undergrad university while I was there.

Allegedly, a disgruntled ex-officer of the cybersecurity club
compromised their website and email list, and confessed after being told
in an interrogation that they knew the attack originated from Tor, and
that he was the only person connected to Tor on campus at the time.

This made sense for about five seconds, until I realized that *I* lived
on campus then, and I used Tor for plenty of things, but also for chat,
which I generally kept always on. So there was no way he was the only
Tor user on campus at that time.

The moral of the story is, never talk to police other than to say you
want a lawyer.

--
Sent from Ubuntu