Re: [tor-talk] Tor and solidarity against online harassment

On Thu, 2014-12-11 at 22:29 +0000, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM, Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'd like to draw your attention to
> > https://blog.torproject.org/blog/solidarity-against-online-harassment
> > https://twitter.com/torproject/status/543154161236586496
> >
> > One of our colleagues has been the target of a sustained campaign of
> > harassment for the past several months. We have decided to publish this
> > statement to publicly declare our support for her, for every member of
> > our organization, and for every member of our community who experiences
> > this harassment. She is not alone and her experience has catalyzed us to
> > action. This statement is a start.
> >
> > I'd love to get your feedback on this post, and your thoughts on how to
> > turn it into something more. This is a bigger struggle than just Tor's
> > piece of it.
>
> The intensity of the language such as "Further, we will no longer hold
> back out of fear or uncertainty from an opportunity to defend a member
> of our community online", immediately caused people in two different
> communities I'm a member of to express concern that this was basically
> a declaration of war and that the Tor Project and the signing parties
> might engage in activities like releasing backdoored software in an
> effort to return fire.
>
> I was only able to respond that I didn't think that was the case, but
> nothing in the document provides a strong basis to support that... and
> also pointing out that these people could always be coerced and so
> that risk exists regardless of any statements of intent, and so we
> must audit and count on the auditing of others.

Was "Our commitment to building and promoting strong anonymity
technology is absolute" not good enough?

This sounds like a very flaky reason to be not okay with a denouncement
of online harassment. You might want to reconsider the communities
you're a member of, if they have to look for reasons so hard for why a
commitment against harassment of women on the Internet is such a bad
thing.

--
Sent from Ubuntu