Re: [tor-talk] phantom protocol

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does anyone here know about the Phantom Protocol:
> https://code.google.com/p/phantom/
>
> It looks like it's abandonware, although someone sent a message to the list
> that they had done some tests with virtual machines.

The HESSLA is problem of untested utopian clickwrap that
criminals and govts will ignore, and that users and authors
don't know or want to deal with, so it needs relicensed to the
familiar BSD (two or three clause, like Tor uses) before it is
likely to attract new developers.

Phantom does run, but may need some fixes to compile,
and the platform specific tun(4) code needs more work.
One contributor put in some good updates, but against an
old rev, so that needs merged.

> My main question is this: how does it bootstrap?

Seeded with nodes you know and configure, learned thereafter.

> I'm asking here because it does onion routing, so maybe someone here has
> investigated its design and/or implementation.

Fully DHT decentralized routing, no exits, presents its
anonymous network over a local IPv6 interface thus works
with all your favorite IPv6 enabled software. Probably most
similar to CJDNS as far as using it goes.

You'll want to read their whitepapers and watch the video.
Both of which should be linked above.
It's worth looking at.