Re: [tor-talk] Tor and iptables.

Did you see my iptables rules? What is my problem?

On Sun, 12/11/16, Jonathan Marquardt <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Tor and iptables.
 To: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Sunday, December 11, 2016, 7:24 AM

 On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at
 12:26:47PM +0000, Jason Long wrote:

 Excuse me, I must allow input to my system? It is so bad :(,
 I don't like to allow everyone.

 This has nothing to do with Tor. It's just
 the general way how the IP protocol
 works.
 Without allowing stateful input, you couldn't do any
 useful traffic.
 You always need to make
 sure that there's a way to the destination (output)
 and a way for the target server to reply to you
 (input).

 But using stateful
 inspection, only input that is a reply to your output is
 allowed. There should't be any security
 risk because of this. It's what your
 home router is doing as well to allow the
 servers you want to talk to to
 reply.

 See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateful_firewall