Re: [tor-talk] [New report] Uganda's Social Media Tax through the lens of network measurements

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 1:09 PM Maria Xynou <maria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> As of 1st July 2018, Uganda has introduced a new OTT (Over The Top) tax
> -  commonly referred to as the Social Media Tax - which requires people
> in Uganda to pay taxes to the government in order to access several
> online social media platforms. Unless this tax is paid, access to these
> specific social media platforms is blocked.

> * Ugandan ISPs primarily implement internet censorship by means of HTTP
> blocking, resetting connections to taxed and banned sites.

I don't understand how they figure out who to block. Do the government
really keep a detailed register that the ISPs must synchronize with their
customer database? Sounds like a lot of overhead.