[tor-talk] [RELEASE] Tor 0.4.6.9 and 0.4.7.3-alpha

Greetings,

We just released 0.4.6.9 and 0.4.7.3-alpha. You can find out about it here:
https://forum.torproject.net/t/release-0-4-6-9-and-0-4-7-3-alpha/1265

Download at: https://dist.torproject.org

Inline ChangeLog for both versions:

  Changes in version 0.4.7.3-alpha - 2021-12-15
    This third alpha release of the 0.4.7.x series fixes several bugs including
    two major ones affecting Bridges and Relays (see below). If you are running
    an earlier 0.4.7.x version, you should upgrade to this version.

    o Major bugfixes (bridges):
      - Make Tor work reliably again when you have multiple bridges
        configured and one or more of them are unreachable. The problem
        came because we require that we have bridge descriptors for both
        of our first two bridges (else we refuse to try to connect), but
        in some cases we would wait three hours before trying to fetch
        these missing descriptors, and/or never recover when we do try to
        fetch them. Fixes bugs 40396 and 40495; bugfix on 0.3.0.5-rc
        and 0.3.2.1-alpha.

    o Major bugfixes (relay, overload):
      - Change the MetricsPort DNS "timeout" label to be "tor_timeout" in
        order to indicate that this was a DNS timeout from tor perspective
        and not the DNS server itself.
      - Deprecate overload_dns_timeout_period_secs and
        overload_dns_timeout_scale_percent consensus parameters as well.
        They were used to assess the overload state which is no more now.
      - Don't make Tor DNS timeout trigger an overload general state.
        These timeouts are different from DNS server timeout. They have to
        be seen as timeout related to UX and not because of a network
        problem. Fixes bug 40527; bugfix on 0.4.6.1-alpha.

    o Minor feature (reproducible build):
      - The repository can now build reproducible tarballs which adds the
        build command "make dist-reprod" for that purpose. Closes
        ticket 26299.

    o Minor features (compilation):
      - Give an error message if trying to build with a version of
        LibreSSL known not to work with Tor. (There's an incompatibility
        with LibreSSL versions 3.2.1 through 3.4.0 inclusive because of
        their incompatibility with OpenSSL 1.1.1's TLSv1.3 APIs.) Closes
        ticket 40511.

    o Minor features (fallbackdir):
      - Regenerate fallback directories generated on December 15, 2021.

    o Minor features (geoip data):
      - Update the geoip files to match the IPFire Location Database, as
        retrieved on 2021/12/15.

    o Minor features (portability):
      - Try to prevent a compiler warning about printf arguments that
        could sometimes occur on MSYS2 depending on the configuration.
        Closes ticket 40355.

    o Minor bugfix (pluggable transport):
      - Do not kill a managed proxy if one of its transport configurations
        emits a method error. Instead log a warning and continue processing
        method arguments. Fixes bug 7362; bugfix on 0.2.3.6-alpha.

    o Minor bugfixes (bridges):
      - When we don't yet have a descriptor for one of our bridges,
        disable the entry guard retry schedule on that bridge. The entry
        guard retry schedule and the bridge descriptor retry schedule can
        conflict, e.g. where we mark a bridge as "maybe up" yet we don't
        try to fetch its descriptor yet, leading Tor to wait (refusing to
        do anything) until it becomes time to fetch the descriptor. Fixes
        bug 40497; bugfix on 0.3.0.3-alpha.

    o Minor bugfixes (compilation):
      - Fix our configuration logic to detect whether we had OpenSSL 3:
        previously, our logic was reversed. This has no other effect than
        to change whether we suppress deprecated API warnings. Fixes bug
        40429; bugfix on 0.3.5.13.

    o Minor bugfixes (controller, path bias):
      - When a circuit's path is specified, in full or in part, from the
        controller API, do not count that circuit towards our path-bias
        calculations. (Doing so was incorrect, since we cannot tell
        whether the controller is selecting relays randomly.) Resolves a
        "Bug" warning. Fixes bug 40515; bugfix on 0.2.4.10-alpha.

    o Minor bugfixes (logging):
      - When we no longer have enough directory information to use the
        network, we would log a notice-level message -- but we would not
        reliably log a message when we recovered and resumed using the
        network. Now make sure there is always a corresponding message
        about recovering. Fixes bug 40496; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

    o Minor bugfixes (performance, DoS):
      - Fix one case of a not-especially viable denial-of-service attack
        found by OSS-Fuzz in our consensus-diff parsing code. This attack
        causes a lot small of memory allocations and then immediately
        frees them: this is only slow when running with all the sanitizers
        enabled. Fixes one case of bug 40472; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.

    o Minor bugfixes (relay):
      - Reject IPv6-only DirPorts. Our reachability self-test forces
        DirPorts to be IPv4, but our configuration parser allowed them to
        be IPv6-only, which led to an assertion failure. Fixes bug 40494;
        bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.

    o Minor bugfixes (sandbox):
      - Fix the sandbox on i386 by modifying it to allow the
        "clock_gettime64" and "statx" system calls and to filter the
        "chown32" and "stat64" system calls in place of "chown" and
        "stat", respectively. Fixes bug 40505; bugfix on 0.2.5.4-alpha.

    o Documentation (man, relay):
      - Missing "OverloadStatistics" in tor.1 manpage. Fixes bug 40504;
        bugfix on 0.4.6.1-alpha.

  Changes in version 0.4.6.9 - 2021-12-15
    This version fixes several bugs from earlier versions of Tor. One important
    piece is the removal of DNS timeout metric from the overload general signal.
    See below for more details.

[...]

Cheers!
David

--
EA0kgzZRpZPAxyjAsaf3RF1Rov4Dvxz+t1AMdZvx/UA=