Anonymity questions

Dear Tor users,

Section 6.1 of the TorFAQ at
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ
states privacy problems that Tor solves, and Section 6.7 states
possible attacks.  I'm trying to understand some details.

Let's say Alice talks to Bob through Tor.  The attack by Murdoch and
Danezis (Low-Cost Traffic Analysis of Tor) allows to identify the
Tor nodes through which Alice's traffic is routed.  At first I
thought: So what?

First, Alice and Bob shouldn't care if the attacker knows all
intermediate nodes as long as neither of them is identified.
Second, when using cascades with predetermined nodes (such as JAP)
the nodes are trivially known to the attacker.  So in what way is
anonymity affected by the attack?

Here is what I'm thinking know.  The question is where Alice, Bob,
and the Tor nodes are located relatively to each other (as in
"Location Diversity in Anonymity Networks" by Feamster and
Dingledine, but with a coarser granularity than Autonomous Systems
(ASs)).

1. If Alice and Bob can be observed by Eve, then Eve can trace
their messages before entering and after leaving the Tor net based
on timing and message characteristics (without knowing anything
about the Tor nodes in between).  How likely is Eve's existence?
I guess that if you are in the US then NSA is your Eve, which means
that your communications anywhere within the US will be traced.
(Btw, I once read that BGP routing tables are set up to route as
much non-US traffic through US routers for tapping purposes as
possible.  Unfortunately, I can't find the source any more.  Any