Re: Removing 1 modular exponentiation

We already distribute different keys for the current protocol. But the
one I proposed is insecure so we might as well forget about it. Schnorr
signatures are secure and are intended for this purpose, but we can only
use them after 2008.

the way things are done now, each OR has two public keys in its router
descriptor.  you are, I think, suggesting that another be added.  I was
just wondering if you had considered the extra bandwidth load this puts
on the directory servers.  If the extra load is substantial (maybe it
isn't, i don't know), then maybe we shouldn't give the ORs another
public key to manage just to save one 1024-bit exponentiation.

-James

I was suggesting replacing the second key with the new key.

ah.. that makes sense to me now.

You may already know that the current scheme has a security reduction (Goldberg, PET 2006), so I imagine there would have to be a comparable argument before the powers that be would consider a new scheme.

Out of curiosity, what is it about your scheme that makes you say it is insecure?

-James