Re: Tor relay shutted down by ISP

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 06:58:08PM +0100, Alexander W. Janssen wrote:
> Tom Hek schrieb:
> > Thanks :) My ISP reconnected me again but I had to promise to never run
> > Tor again. Tomorrow I'm going to call them and try to change their
> > minds. XS4ALL is a ISP who stands for freedom of speech, they are
> > against censorship, etc etc. If they knew what Tor was they wouldn't
> > disconnect me for running Tor..
>
> Yeah, that's what I thought too... I mean XS4ALL has quite a good
> reputation. It puzzles me that they acted like you described it.

That part at least has an easy explanation: like all other large
organizations, xs4all is made up of many different people, and most of
them are just there to do their job. There are probably a few people at
xs4all who really like Tor, a few who really hate it, and the rest are
in between depending on all sorts of factors (like whether they've had
their coffee yet that day).

So rather than saying "it puzzles me that xs4all acted like that", it
might be better phrased as "it puzzles me that one person at xs4all
acted like that", and then it becomes less puzzling.

--Roger