Re: tor memory leak under Ubuntu 6.06

Am Sonntag, den 24.02.2008, 16:09 +0100 schrieb Dominik Schaefer:
> Andrew wrote:
> > While I'm not an expert at any of this, I would think that ~100MB might
> > very well be a reasonable size for a somewhat fast tor node. How do these
> > figures compare to others running on Ubuntu?
> My two relay nodes on Debian Etch (about 200k and 300k bandwidth) consume
> about 200MB (250MB VSS) and 290MB (330 MB VSS). So, yes, without additional
> information e.g. about the changes over time the 100 MB can be perfectly
> normal behaviour. That the memory utilisation increases from startup values
> significantly is expected as tor doesn't have to keep track of many
> connections directly after startup. (And if tor consumes more and more memory
> over a longer time it may be due to memory fragmentation or increased number
> of connections.)
>
> Regards,
> Dominik

Thanks for all the answers.

I was assuming that tors memory footage was linearily
increasing since startup, therfore I used the term "memory leak".

This might prove to be wrong - so I will watch tors memory
requirements on the server for a longer period and post the results.

However, it looks like tor requires an significat
amount of memory.

My (rented) server has a guaranteed amount of 128 MB RAM,
and I am running apache webserver with ssl and php, postfix mail,
cyrus imaps and ldaps on it.

I hope the server will prove to run stable with these
application together with tor.

Regards,
Dietrich