Re: aes performance

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Arjan
<n6bc23cpcduw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My upload speed is much too slow to run into this problem, but could the
> compression be (partially) disabled for middle nodes? I'm assuming that
> the data they are relaying has already been compressed + encrypted, so
> it wouldn't compress much anyway.

it would be interesting to see how roles (middle, exit, directory
cache) affect the crypto overhead.  i suspect you're right, that a
middle only would opt toward the traffic it is most effective at (lots
of AES, fewer pubkey ops, fewer compressed payloads).

i have no if this would make a significant impact, or get you past
other CPU limits for network saturation.  would be a fun experiment
for someone with the bandwidth/lab setting and some C7 cores... :)

best regards,