Re: Exit nodes in torrc question

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 12:37:26AM -0500, force44@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have the following lines in my torrc file:
>
> ExitNodes node1
> AllowDotExit 1
> MapAddress .site.com .site.com.node2.exit
>
> When I connect to site.com, node2 is used as exit. I believed it should be node1, as ExitNodes is a global directive, no?
>
> Or are the lines processed in order they are written in the file?

We have no clear plan about what we should do in these cases. Every user
seems to want some specific behavior and be shocked that we don't do it
the way they would want it. The result is that different Tor versions
over the years do it different ways, just confusing people more. :/

ExitNodes is a global directive, but with the .exit notation I would say
you specified that you wanted to overrule that global directive for that
stream. Seems like plausible behavior to me. In any case, it has nothing
to do with the order of the lines in your torrc.

See also https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1090
which thankfully (assuming you're running Tor 0.2.2.7-alpha or later)
is now mainly a problem with assumptions about what Tor should do when
you specify ExcludeNodes or ExcludeExitNodes.

--Roger