Re: What are email risks?

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson writes:

> Combine that sort of stuff with analysis of writing style, vocabulary, etc.
> and you might be able to correlate two e-mails as originating from the same
> person with some degree of accuracy.
>
> I'm not aware of any research into the trackability of such things, as
> e-mail generally isn't considered anonymous anyway, but a lot of the work
> that has gone into fighting spam would actually have implications here as
> well.

Hi Bjarni,

There is a stylometry item in the anonbib where they do statistical
analysis of features of writing style:

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec2000/full_papers/rao/rao.pdf

I bet these techniques have gotten more powerful as the field of
machine learning has developed, although I don't know if there are
more recent studies of what this means for anonymity.

--
Seth Schoen
Senior Staff Technologist                         schoen@xxxxxxx