Re: [tor-talk] Scroogle is No More?

On 2/21/2012 8:38 AM, tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 21/02/12 14:27, Mr Dash Four wrote:

I've started using this instead: https://startpage.com/

It provides Google search results, supports https, works without
javascript enabled, seems to be hosted in the Netherlands and they take
a good approach to privacy:

https://startpage.com/eng/protect-privacy.html

"You may be using a privacy-oriented browser extension that conflicts
with Startpage. Please disable this extension and try your search again.
If this does not help, please contact us at (212) 447-1100 (USA) or
autoquery @ ixquick.com."

Yeah, as if! startpage.com is off my list! Next...
Strange. I don't get that error message when accessing startpage.com
over Tor. I'm not using a standard bundle like TorBrowser though. Would
be interesting to find out which particular aspect of your configuration
is leading to that error message.

Neither have I gotten a msg about "you may be using a privacy-oriented browser extension..." That's a generic error msg & could mean anything. Why not contact Ixquick? I did once (not about your type error) - the support person that replied by email was quite knowledgeable & helpful. Try that w/ Google. I have no affiliation / connection to Ixquick / Start Page at all.

I've used Ixquick & Start Page w/ Firefox & TBB. There must be some particular combo of extensions you're using. It's unfortunate, but some extensions interfere w/ some sites. Now, if you're using several "untested / unapproved" extensions in TBB, they may not work together. Many extensions state upfront that they conflict w/ other.