Re: [tor-talk] Android Encryption Max password length

On 02/14/2014 01:54 PM, Nathan Freitas wrote:
> On 02/14/2014 12:06 PM, Jack Murphy wrote:
>>
>> I've considered buying an android smartphone, but I've held off in
>> the past because the max password length was a crackable mere 16
>> characters in length.
>>
>> Does anyone here who's running Jelly Bean know what that max
>> password length for device encryption is these days?
>
> I believe the screen lock is still 16 but you can change (if rooted)
> to a different (longer?) password for the full disk encryption/boot
> password.
>
> See this post:
> http://nelenkov.blogspot.com/2012/08/changing-androids-disk-encryption.html
>
>  and this app:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nick.cryptfs.passwdmanager&hl=en
>
>  I can do more testing in the coming week and let you know.
>
> +n

Yeah with cryptfs I can confirm that the boot/disk encryption password
can be longer than 16.

Michael

--
Michael Carbone
Manager of Tech Policy & Programs

GPG: 0x81B7A13E
Fingerprint: 25EC 1D0F 2D44 C4F4 5BEF EF83 C471 AD94 81B7 A13E

Join us at RightsCon Silicon Valley, March 3-5
https://www.rightscon.org