Re: [tor-talk] ATOMIC BANJO and LEVITATION used by CSE

On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 01:32:06PM -0700, Mirimir wrote:
> On 02/02/2015 11:56 AM, spencerone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Paul Syverson paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil:
> >> See p. 129 of http://www.acsac.org/2011/program/keynotes/syverson.pdf
> >> also
> >> https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#WhyCalledTor
> >>
> >> aloha,
> >> Paul
> >>
> >> (Note, the German meaning of 'Tor' mentioned in the FAQ is discussed
> >> in the "A Peel of Onion"
> >> paper, the Turkish meaning is apparently a fine-meshed net.)
> >
> > Awesome, that kinda makes sense, tough, given that Tor is THE onion
> > router, I think referring to Tor as TOR is still accurate :)
>
> No, Tor is not "THE onion router". It's _an_ onion router :)

You should rather say Tor is not _the_ onion routing, it's _an_ onion
routing: cf. p. 129 again---except this is not the 'the' of definite
description but the 'the' of "The original and still the best". (I got
this phrase from Roger Needham in 1993.  He was talking about BAN
logic, and said he got the phrase from a shoe polish tin.)

aloha,
Paul