Re: [tor-talk] Gmail is blocking sending email from smtp.gmail.com

No, Google does not block tor. It happened to me as well with error messages "intrusion detected" and "insecure device".ÂI had to modify Google security settings to make it work.

     On Saturday, 7 February 2015 5:10 AM, Thom Miller <thom@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 18:02:32 +0100
Justaguy <justaguy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, they do what looks like "blocking", they just emailed me with
> "intrusion detected!", they do not like foreign IP's, but, it's easy
> to remove the block :)
> On 02/06/2015 06:00 PM, s7r wrote:
> > Negative, Gmail does not block Tor.
> >
> > A Google Apps business account allows sending emails via Tor both
> > from webmail (https://gmail.com) and for SMTP username over TLS
> > (Thunderbird tested). Just did a test now, and received the email in
> > another email box:

> >Â Â Â Â by mx.google.com with ESMTPSA id <removed>
> >Â Â Â Â for <removed>
> >Â Â Â Â (version=TLSv1.2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
> > bits=128/128); Fri, 06 Feb 2015 08:49:52 -0800 (PST)
> >
> > On 2/6/2015 6:43 PM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> >
> > > at GlobaLeaks we did notice that Gmail is blocking the sending of
> > > email over Tor trough authenticated users over smtp.gmail.com .

I've seen the "intrusion detected" message and also "insecure device"
messages from gmail. It would seem that ip addresses not normally
associated with your account (because Google keeps great records of
your online activity for you) may trigger the message.

I don't believe Google is intentionally blocking Tor.

-Thom