Re: [tor-talk] Tor -> VPN Clarification

On 2015-02-04 00:02, Mirimir wrote:
On 02/03/2015 04:59 AM, Alfredo Palhares wrote:
VPN -> Tor
   VPN connection to Tor == Tor connection through VPN
   getting your anonymity (Tor) more privately (VPN)
   easy setup; VMs not needed; firewall prudent; use PayPal for VPN
   safe with Tor browser; easy to fail with other apps

I use VPN -> Tor if the the end point is outside in network.

My two cents.

I use a VPN then Tor. If I'm not wrong, my ISP sees that I've connected to the VPN IP. The Tor entry node sees that I've arrived from the VPN IP.

This is beneficial if you don't want your ISP to know that you are a Tor user. I suspect that a VPN is less "suspicious" than Tor.

You can buy the VPN service with Bitcoin for added anonymity. Also, check to see whether the VPN leaks your DNS at https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ or equivalent.

I have checked in Wireshark what happens when I use a VPN and Tor.

The tun0 (the VPN using OpenVPN) interface shows my VPN IP contacting the Tor entry node. I check this using https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/

It is of note that tun0 will also show traffic from the VPN IP to other non-Tor IPs. You can look up what these IPs are in WHOIS. I guess this is just other traffic from me (via my VPN IP) to the internet.

The wlan0 shows my internal IP (192.168.x.x) to the VPN IP.

I know this thread closed about a week ago but if anyone has any comments on my post then please reply.