Re: [tor-talk] Different degree of identification -> trustworthiness of Tor Relay operators

âHello all,â

> I would like to propose the topic of introducing a certain degree of
> verification, in order to obtain certain responsibilities:â

On the contrary, I think that this feature could be dangerous.
For some of the Âadversaries Tor has, it would be actually very simple to falsify various types of ID checks. â
Indeed, secret services, among others, are already very keen on hiding their activities through dozens of fake cover companies and identities.â
To distinguishing the fake from the legitimate ones would âtherefore be very difficult.
Evil Tor operators would thereby gain a false sense of legitimacy which, in the end, helps no one combating them.

Detecting them could require more of a black boxâ type approach, based only on behavorial facts. Or other metadata that is not so misleadingly forgeable.

Sadly, this is not an easy problem to fix.

â------------------------------------------------------------------â
 Message d'origine Â
De: Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists
EnvoyÃ: jeudi 28 janvier 2016 10:35â

Actually a Tor relay do have a Contact information, with untrustuctured
data in it where i can type "Hello, i'm mikey mouse, write me to
cybercommand@xxxxxxx".

Now, we know that inside the Tor networks the Tor relays may have
different roles and different responsibilities.

I would like to propose the topic of introducing a certain degree of
verification, in order to obtain certain responsibilities:
- Email validation (Email based check)
- Phone number validation (SMS based check)â