Re: [tor-talk] How to make the Tor service to stop faster?

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 10:26:51PM +0100, Andreas Krey wrote:
> > > It is just the nicer way to say goodbye to clients - I guess.
>
> Also, tor then has a chance to gracefully shut down circuits so
> that at least short-lived connections don't break by the shutdown.

Yes, this is it. Once you start the shutdown process, your relay refuses
new create cells, new begin cells, etc. The hope is that if somebody is
in the middle of fetching a web page via you, they finish fetching it
before you disappear.

--Roger