Re: [tor-talk] Tor Messenger

Hi,

So the state of available XMPP Clients today kinda sucks. There's Pidgin available for Linux Systems (it works and gets some security patches from time to time), there's ChatSecure for iOS, there's Conversations for Android. There are some clients without OMEMO/OTR for macOS and Windows but unless you fully trust both XMPP Servers in a chat that's not a good solution.

The alternative is "chat apps" like Signal by OpenWhisper or Wire by Wire Swiss GmbH but those are at the end of the day centralized apps so you have to trust the developers will play nice. In theory you can compile the mobile apps from source to avoid a backdoor.

Honestly it might not be a bad idea to make email popular again, at least then it's federated and there's no single entity that can censor or shutdown your communications, with the con that emails take up to a minute to transfer so it's not instant like chat.

You have to decide what tradeoffs you feel comfortable with, we can't make that decision for you.
Cordially,
Nathaniel Suchy

Feb 10, 2019, 6:12 AM by petrusko@xxxxxxxxxx: