Re: Tor network speed

Roger Dingledine wrote:

Actually, it's quite possible that at various times various Tor servers
are saturated -- especially the ones in the lower bandwidth ranges, since
they're presumably used for other stuff as well and they don't have much
capacity to go around.

Weasel's bandwidth graph (http://www.noreply.org/tor-running-routers/)
indicates that we're pushing over 100 mbits/s average sustained throughput
over the Tor network, with bursts in the 200-300 mbit/s range.

The Tor software itself has been observed to push 10mbit/s on a given
node, and probably could do more if pressed. So the increased latency
(and decreased throughput) you're seeing is due to the servers your
circuit happened to pick.

Alas, as we try to scale the network to make it more robust and more secure against various adversaries, we're going to start accepting more and more slow nodes. This is inevitable, especially if we want to avoid being such a juicy target for the Bittorrent folks -- see http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Dec-2004/msg00052.html [...]

Hope that helps,
--Roger

Thanks for the detailed reply--it *was* helpful.

--
Andrew