Re: default setting in pidgin

Hi!

(Please don't top-post).

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 04:07:05PM +0000, M wrote:
>The pidgin also has an OTR addon, so the point is also privacy along with
>anonymity, and one or the other or both will be compromised in case the usb
>is lost, discovered, left in someones device, etc...

Right. W/o OTR or something like that, you might have anonymity, but at
the prize of being more easily attacked at malicious exit nodes.

>Anyways, yes, i can turn it off, but the hundreds of others may not explore
>the settings, or they may not even understand them.
>I fell the settings should be changed so that it does not log by default.

But even then, people really *needing* privacy must think for themselves
anyway. Other default settings may still not be taken as a sign that things
are already safe. And one must always be very conscious about one's
behavior. What does turning logging off help if one conveys information
about one's identity in the *content* of conversations, for example?

Kind regards,

Hannah.