Re: geeez...

Hi Dirk,

> ok... since this mailing list is not able to give at least some tips
> for running a tor exit node except:

What do you want to know exactly? In many countries, running an
anonymizing service is definitely not illegal. Many exit operators run
into trouble with their ISP, because they are too easily scared by DMCA
complaints and the like. This is especially true for an exit policy that
allows arbitrary ports, as your ISP will be flooded with mails from
BayTSP/MediaSentry. That's why we have compiled a list of well-known
ports. [1]

You should find an ISP who explicitly allows you to run a Tor exit, and
if you want you can start with an open exit policy. If your ISP
complaints and wants to shut you down later, you can switch to the
reduced exit policy. Or, you can allow exiting only to a few ports. It's
your decision.
Try to convince your ISP to SWIP the IP range and attach your personal
abuse handle. Example:
http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/cgi-bin/whois.pl?ip=79.140.39.227

Most complaints you will have to deal with can be easily solved by
telling them about Tor. In extreme cases, the police might come knocking
to your door or even try to seize your equipment, but I am only aware of
a single case in Germany where that happened some years ago.

If you need technical help setting up a node, the comments in torrc and
the documentation on the website should help you. If not, join #tor on
irc.oftc.net and I'm sure there will be someone to give you a hand.

--
Moritz Bartl
http://www.torservers.net/

[1]