Re: understanding problem, hidden services

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 01:57:57PM +0100, Bernd Kreuss wrote:
> line 589: (Alice establishes rendezvous point)
> "It does this by establishing a circuit to a randomly chosen OR"
>
> does this mean
> Alice -> OR1 -> OR2 -> Rend
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>          circuit ending at Rend
> or
>
> Alice -> OR1 -> OR2 -> OR3 -> Rend
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                circuit        connecting to Rend

Whenever Alice chooses the node that Alice and Bob will use to interact,
Alice uses that node as her third hop in a three hop circuit. Whenever
*Bob* chooses it, Alice builds a three hop path of her own and then uses
Bob's choice as the fourth hop.

So in the above case, it will be the former situation:
Alice -> OR1 -> OR2 -> Rendezvous point.

> line 609: (Alice connecting to Bob's intro point)
> "Alice builds a separate circuit to one of Bob's chosen introduction points"
>
> The same wording, the same interpretation?
>
> Alice -> OR1 -> OR2 -> Intro <- ORb <- ORa <- Bob
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^    3
>                    3

In this case, Alice didn't pick the Intro point. Alice wants three hops
that she chose, so it will be Alice -> OR1 -> OR2 -> OR3 -> Intro.
Whereas Bob wants three hops that he chose, so his side will be
Bob -> ORa -> ORb -> Intro.

> line 688: (Rendezvouz)
> ======================
> "Bob's OP builds a new Tor circuit *ending* at Alice's chosen rendezvous
> point"
>
> Here the word "ending" sounds clear to me. The rendezvouz is the last
> node in Bob's cicuit:
>
> Rend <- ORb <- ORa <- Bob
>           3

Bob didn't pick the rendezvous point, so he wants three hops of his own
plus the rendezvous point.

Can somebody write a patch for rend-spec.txt to clarify?

Thanks,
--Roger