Question and Confirmation.

I just want to confirm one thing and ask something else.

My understanding is that Tor encrypts both the content of a data packet and also the header.  It encrypts the packet and header three times on the client (my computer) and then at each node one layer is decrypted until the data packet and header are decrypted to plaintext at the final exit node (except when TLS is used).  Right?

The Tor FAQ says "Tor is not illegal anywhere in the world".  Can that really be the case?  What about North Korea for example?  Tor as a specific tool might not be specifically illegal but surely it would fall under the rubric of some kind of stupid prohibition?  Just wondering.