Re: [tor-talk] Google as default search engine revisited

On 1/10/2012 2:02 PM, Curious Kid wrote:
Insinuating that Tor is adware and that the Tor Project is being compensated for delivering user data is outrageous. There's been a recent increase in FUD (because of the SOPA vote?), but this is pretty over the top.
1st, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Adware isn't the same as getting funding for including something that can easily be (1) avoided totally by users, or (2) removed completely from the software by users. Or, if including a search engine in browsers makes them adware, then most browsers are adware, by that definition. In TBB & other browsers, users have complete control whether to use any search engine or not.

I personally don't like Google, but I'm not forced to use it in Tor nor Firefox. I have NO idea if Tor Project is bound by any legal ? requirements to leave Google's search engine in Aurora, since they are just using Firefox & modifying it.

Others can correct me, but I'm guessing that IF users "follow directions" of using TBB, the data that Google searches would be able to mine is not the same as if using stock Firefox, IE, etc. They certainly wouldn't get your real IP address, therefore not be able to tie searches (say, under court order - or lack there of) to users' real IP account / name. Again, if users don't like Google, just don't use it in Tor or anywhere else.

It won't make you any "safer," but if you wish, del the Google search engine plugin, completely. That'll fix 'em! :D In latest Windows TBB, google search plugin is located: \Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox\searchplugins