Re: [tor-talk] How to make 100.000 bridge?

On 1/13/2012 8:18 PM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) wrote:

Hi all,

i've been thinking about the bridge issues.

Specifically about the fact that the entrance barrier to install a
bridge it's quite high.

You need:
- someone with technical skills to install a bridge
- an internet exposed server where you can install your own software
that run in background

Those kind of requirements provide a very high entrance barrier for
anyone that would like to "support freedom of speech".

Yes, it's really a problem to find a tech-savvy person to run a private bridge outside the censored regions. Recently, I wanted to test obfsproxy and that adds to the problem! I had to find a person having enough time and knowledge to configure an obfsproxy server out there!

Any idea to make the whole process of "making a machine a Tor bridge" more automated is great! Right now, Vidalia interface is really straightforward in setting up a Tor bridge, but to make it operational, the port forwarding part which should be done manually (in most cases) is a hassle for a normal user.

-arpooya