Re: [tor-talk] Tor Gateway and Tor Workstation by ra [was: remove any all links from torproject.com to JanusVM]

> Not to load more work on the tor developers but...
>
> Couldn't the tor project simply make another bundle available but this one
> intended for use in a VM?  Take a basic debian (or whatever linux flavor)
> system, made up of just what is needed and add tor to it.  The intention
> being for people to download it and run it in a VM and use that as their
> means of accessing the tor network on their system.  Requirement being
> they install/have installed virtualbox or other VM app to install it into.

That would be great. I would feel a lot saver if this were an official Tor
project. It would have a few benefits. The Tor developers would check the
VMs for security. Many geeks get aware of it, download it and check the
security again.

Currently I am still working on my own implementation.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBOX
As you may see the VM approach isn't that much work and it's certainly not
rocket science.

I will research how 'virtual machine portable' this may be. Hopefully the
same virtual machine disc image may be used across most emulators at the
same time.

Another idea would be not to supply a whole virtual machine but therefore
an .deb package. The .deb package would contain the necessary firewall
rules, torrc settings and so on to convert a linux box into a Tor gateway
server.

I'll see that there is already a design document on the Tor server.
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/torvm/trunk/doc/design.html

> Too much work?

I hope not. Let's hope for some feedback but as this document is already
on torproject.org and we have transproxy settings in torrc I assume they
can't be too negative about this idea. Just a question of effort and time.