Re: [tor-talk] IDEA: Compress traffic at exit

> Am 21.01.2012 15:39, schrieb proper@xxxxxxxxxxx:
>> 2) caching proxy
>> Just like existing caching proxys. The exit server would safe bandwidth
>> if
>> they wouldn't always request all websites fresh but use a local cache.
>> Also option for both, Tor-user and exit server if they wish to use the
>> feature.
>
> That could indeed save bandwidth, but only for popular sites. The cache
> would have to be refreshed from time to time. Also this would require
> space for the cached files. I'm sure that this would work.
>
> This has nothing to do with compression IMO, just saving bandwidth.

Indeed.

> You could post it as separate idea.

I think developers may have given enough attention. If they'd think it's
useful they'd probable note it.

And I think that idea wasn't that good after all.

It's always a balance between posting new ideas

> Keep in mind that the torproject knows it's requirements and that
> bandwidth doesn't seem to be the problem.
>
> I'm not sure if that would be used. When I'd use Tor for anonymity I
> wouldn't want something to store anything on my behalf.

Very good point.

> ON the other
> hand, when the website doesn't need to be fetched from it's original
> server it might be harder to monitor for an adversary.

Interesting thought.

>> 3) connection compression
> That's included in mine as well, but the majority of exit are already
> overloaded, so they would have to opt out, which makes compression
> requests useless, because those won't be honored.

Correct again, other things right now seam to be of more importance and
promise more to gain then this.