Re: [tor-talk] Padding effective against simple passive end-to-end correlation attacks?

On 1/28/2013 3:41 PM, The Doctor wrote:
> On 01/26/2013 10:29 PM, Raynardine wrote:
>
> > I did not realize that Bitcoin was capable of accepting incoming
> > connections via Tor. This should be a standard feature of the
> > mainline Bitcoin client.
>
> If I recall correctly, the reference implementation of the Bitcoin
> protocol (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin) has an option in the
> config panel to set a proxy (which just happens to be localhost:9050),
> protocol SOCKS5 (but it supports SOCKS4).

My understanding is that the mainline Bitcoint-QT reference client
implementation does not come with Tor bundled and pre-configured to make
use of Tor location-hidden services in order to accept incoming
connections, but it seems I was not the only one thinking in that direction.

The latest stable release for Bitcoin-QT has port 9050 suggested as
SOCKS port, which implies that Tor is suggested as a possible
anonymization measure to be taken by the casual user, but it does not
come pre-packaged with Tor bundled with it.

I am pleased to see that Bitcoin does have features that make it a lot
easier to accept incoming connections by way of location-hidden
services, and I think that is beneficial for both Tor and Bitcoin user
communities.

Tor and Bitcoin go together so well.