Re: [tor-talk] Harvard student used Tor to send bomb threats, gets caught by old-fashioned policework

>>the perp confessed to guilt during interview. not sure if there's been
any further action since then.

My point was that presumably the authorities assumed that the perp would be using the university network to make the threats and hence checked to see who had connected to a known Tor IP entry node.

Had the perp used a Starbucks network, mobile dongle, or hijacked wifi connection then no such connection would have been made.

Also, am I right to think that if he had used a bridge then the IP logged would have been the bridge IP rather than the Tor entry node IP?  Is this traceable?  Are bridge addresses public?

Thanks.

On Saturday, January 4, 2014 7:41 PM, Tempest <tempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bobby Brewster:
> Three points about this story.
>
> First, if the student had used a VPN then the network would only have seen his VPN IP not the entry node IP.  Right?

right.

> Second, who is to say that the 'real' perp was not using a different non-University network?

the perp confessed to guilt during interview. not sure if there's been
any further action since then.

> Third, I was under the impression that the case against Jeremy Hammond also involved correlating Tor entry node activity with Tor exit node activity on the target websites. However, having just looked at the inditement, I may be wrong as Tor is not mentioned.  Perhaps I read it in a news story rather than a court file?

law enforcment was monitoring when he was logged into the tor network,
in addition to getting information from monsegur as to when he
supposedly logged off. the totality of the evidence against hammond
may never be reported since he plead guilty rather than going to trial.