Re: [tor-talk] !!! Important please read. !!!

This particular issue of SSL/TLS has been known since the earliest days.  It is a well understood problem in authentication.  How do we know a machine or user is who they claim to be?

The solution was the use of a 3rd party to act as a verifier of identity or a trusted party.  This little fact is lost on most new-comers but was a big selling point for groups such as Verisign in the early years.  We ended up with a certificate-based chain of trust.  It has always been understood that if the private keys of the issuing CA, or the root CA, were exposed then it would be trivial to mount man-in-the-middle attacks.  In these times of National Security letters, we can be quite confident that the private keys were obtained a long time ago.

Where private keys could not be obtained, then the practice and policy was to support technologies that were weakened in some fashion and push them as the de-facto standard.  We have seen this in particular modifications to random number generators.

What this means is that your average SSL/TLS connection will be secure from criminals but not from government agencies.  In a world were government agencies are the primary source of industrial espionage this is mainly the concern of businesses and corporations that must protect privileged or confidential information.

In regards to identifying Tor users, this is more simple than anyone imagines.  A simple DB at an ISP recording IP addresses of those connecting to Tor nodes is all it takes.  In fact, the EU mandates that this data be held for 2 years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_data_retention#European_Union

That data can be correlated with access to hidden services and other websites, so we know for a fact that Tor is extensively compromised at present and provides no anonymity as it fails to deal with traffic analysis.

Regards,

Mark McCarron